Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Farewell Wacko Jacko.

Ok, so Michael Jackson and I have never been close but today I got a little emotional as the world said goodbye to the King of Pop.

Michael Jackson’s career provided a background to me growing up and I’ve got some great memories thanks to his music. Of having Moonwalk competitions with my brother, of hitting the dance floor to “Billie Jean” at my first school disco (still one of the most played on my iPod BTW), of trying to understand the political references to “Man in the Mirror” but not really knowing what it was about, and of knowing all the words to “Bad” off by heart.

And then there was a very awkward moment about 2 seconds after meeting S when he presented me with a CD he’d made me with one of MJ’s songs on it. I’ll let you guess which one but let’s just say he’s lucky he didn’t scare me completely off right then and there. If he had scared me away, he just wouldn’t have stopped loving me. He can't.

Yes, S was a huge fan and poor old Digby’s death was totally overshadowed by the death of the King of Pop. S doesn’t know this but one of my Big Wednesday fantasies from the $36M a few weeks back was to take S to see Michael’s London concert.

No wonder he just can’t stop loving me.

So anyway, I think Michael Jackson is a freak and did some totally stupid things but I also think he was an incredible musician and performer, and today as I watched his memorial service, like millions around the world, I cried when Paris paid tribute to her Daddy. So sad. But what a beautiful little girl she turned out to be under that blanket.

Speaking of Blanket, how cute was he? And his big brother Prince too. Didn’t they just have the shiniest hair you’ve ever seen?

Mostly I was impressed today by how for someone who had been so weird and tacky, how normal and nice the service was.

But there were a few weird and stupid things going on. Like, WHAT was Jennifer Hudson thinking wearing white? I don’t know just how pregnant she is but today it looked like that baby was due about 6 months ago.

And was Stevie Wonder taking the piss when he said “I never thought I’d see this day”?

Did those kids really have to chew gum? I hope they didn’t leave it under the seats at the stadium.

Could Lionel Richie have looked anymore bored during ‘Heal the World’?

But the final moment belongs to the gloves! Cute and touching but fucking hilarious too!

Do you reckon when the Queen dies that Prince Charles will wear her white gloves?

2 comments:

  1. I was just going to read one or two of your past posts but you are so fucken hilarious and so my cup of tea that I can't tear myself away, my 9 year old keeps asking what I am laughing at and why I am so happy, obviously something I don't do too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, am glad I made you laugh Jules. The funniest thing is I don't even try to be funny; I'm just bonkers (like you said on another comment) and have a sore arse.

    ReplyDelete